Monday, March 31, 2014

A Girl and her Clothes...



Every day I have the same fight with my two year old daughter. She wants to wear her favorite dress everyday and I have to explain that it is dirty and try to talk her into wearing something else. What usually happens is I have to get out her 'dirty' dress, show her where it is dirty and then she is somewhat willing to wear something else. However, I am always limited to skirts and dresses. On the other hand, her twin brother loves to pick out his own clothes as well and unfortunately he is not as fashion savvy as his sister. Yesterday he wore basketball shorts with a thermal long sleeve shirt. Not very fashionable, but he was happy.


1960s womens fashion 7 300x245 1960s womens fashion
Ladies Fashion in the 60's
That is what fashion is all about anyways, right? Feeling good or happy about yourself? For decades women have followed trends, or started them, all in an effort to feel good about themselves when they walk out the door. I know the smile across Chloe's little face is priceless when her favorite dress is clean. Its almost as if her entire day is made just by this one fashion statement.

I decided to see if this is true across the age spectrum. What is the correlation between women being happy and clothes? I had to find out.

First, I found an article from Time.com where it stated, "A new series of studies shows that attractive people earn more money and marry better-looking spouses, and that the economic benefits of being good looking make them happier than their homely counterparts." Well, this was a start. This study basically was finding that beauty equaled success which equaled money and happiness. Interesting, but what about us average ladies who have to work to look beautiful? The article went on to say that plastic surgery, designer clothes and make-up didn't prove to make people happier. But rather it stated, 'it’s the people who obsess about their personal wealth and/or attractiveness that are less happy.'


However, in the middle of the article it made the point I was really wondering about from the beginning. It said, “For a woman, it just matters to walk down the street being good-looking. It hurts to walk down the street being bad-looking."

As women, we want to look our best as it makes us feel our best. I found another article on ScienceDaily.com which did a study about what clothes women wear when they are happy versus depressed. The entire article is quite interesting, however, I was only concerned with if certain clothes make women happier. This is what one professor from the University of Hertfordshire found, "Many of the women in this study felt they could alter their mood by changing what they wore. This demonstrates the psychological power of clothing and how the right choices could influence a person's happiness." She went on to say, "The study found that 'happy' clothes -- ones that made women feel good -- were well-cut, figure enhancing, and made from bright and beautiful fabrics."


Chloe in her favorite dress
All in all, I couldn't agree more. When I am wearing an outfit which is figure enhancing, well cut and ultimately makes me look my best, I am going to be happier than if I was just in a pair of sweats. Furthermore, watching my daughter get dressed everyday, I have learned this starts from a very early age and will continue throughout adulthood. Therefore, one key to happiness I can now say is choosing to wear your favorite clothes everyday. Well, I guess Chloe can wear her dirty dress one more day in a row, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.