Monday, April 14, 2014

Design Inspiration


As much as I hate to the act of flying, driving, and all the traveling prior to the travels to come, I absolutely adore traveling and exploring the great wide world.  This weekend I was lucky enough to travel to see my cousin get married, so congrats to the newlyweds and welcome to the ridiculous Tallent family Bri!  Anyhoo, there are two surefire ways to keep me content when dealing with the annoyance of flying; a great book, and loading up my computer with great films.

This weekend, I took pleasure in turning on the 2005 redition of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice.  If you've yet to see it, please do.  The classic romantic story, breathtaking scenery, and most importantly, the fashion will inspire you.  The 1800's was such a glorious time for fashion, even the upper-class seemed to have a bit more of a relaxed feel in comparison to the fashion preceding this era (which then quickly fell back into more opulent fashion).  I cannot get enough of this movie's fashion though.  Jacqueline Durran, you are a goddess, and your work in this film was nothing short of brilliant.  Such simplistic designs that gave an immediate sense as to who each character was.  Kudos.


My point in all of this gushing is, there is one scene in particular that sparked my interest because it immediately made me want to pick up my pencil and sketch.  The white ball at Netherfield.  Ah, so beautiful.  All the women dressed in white of course my mind went straight to wedding, but then I thought, how could this be interpreted?  Of course there are many designs out there with an empire waistline, but how do I create something that is fun and modern?  Furthermore, do I really want to stray from that historic feeling?


I am in love with the dress Miss Elizabeth donned in this scene.  So light and airy, especially with the romantic and sweet sheer sleeve.  My one worry, do women think of this as a more juvenile design aspect as compared to a sleeve that is more sleek and fitted to the shoulder?  I know that I myself love the look of a slightly puffed sleeve but do feel a bit like a little girl in the silhouette.

Then comes the overall silhouette of the gown.  So easy, sweet, romantic, and comfortable I find that a design as lovely as this would be divine on any woman's wedding day.  Think about it, getting rid of the hassle of your train, being able to expose a gorgeous pair of shoes with added ease and lets be real here, a woman would look STUNNING in this!  Effortless elegance.  Easy and fresh.  I'm particularly loving gowns like this for summer weddings.  Getting rid of the stiffness and allowing yourself to breathe and enjoy your day, instead of wondering if the part of your gown that is three feet away, still looks good.


And then there's Jane at both the white ball and the scene where Mr. Bingley proposes in the drawing room.  So sweet and romantic, I just adore the pop of color and ease of the skirt.  LOVE.  There's so much inspiration to be taken from all of these gorgeous costumes.  So much room for interpretation and modernizing.  I can't wait to see how more research and diving into the mid 1800's to the 1900's will take my future designs.  Especially with the rise of Downton Abbey addicts (myself included) I predict that there will be many more designs in the future that will draw upon eras past (and not just the 20's due to Gatsby).



Until next time, 
Lu Raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.