Friday, May 27, 2016

Reception Playlist: A Step-by-Step Guide to Music and your Wedding!

The Reception is one of my favorite things about the whole wedding ceremony. This is where everyone you love and new people get together to dance and celebrate two people finding love. Unfortunately, DJs can be expensive when added up with the various costs of the wedding and are likely the first to get cut. Never fear though! Here’s a guide for you to create the best reception playlist.

1. Plan how long everyone will dancing.

With this plan in mind, we can assess how long the reception will last and will give us a time-goal for our playlist. If the place is rented out for about 2 hours, I would create a playlist about 2 1/2 hours long,  just to be safe.

2. Know your guest list.

By this, I'm really talking about knowing who's attending, what their taste in music is, and if they're bringing children (better to assume at least one person is if you're allowing kids). Hypothetically, my family is coming, their taste is very mainstream, and I have a few friends and family bringing kids. With this,  I would lean to my favorite mainstream pop songs and opt for the clean version to keep my family and parents of the kids happy. Personally, I always throw in "Yeah!" by Usher to get the party moving.


3. Know what you want out of the reception.

You really need to know what you want out of the reception, such as couples/slow dancing or some upbeat party dancing. I tend to lean more towards the upbeat dancing with like 2-3 slow dancing thrown in. One of my new favorite slow songs right now is "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran. This is to give everyone a little variety while still having the kids participate.


4. Use a reliable program

Now that the criteria for creating our playlist is done, all that is left is to find a budget option for the DJ. Spotify and Apple Music are both great options for this. I really enjoy Spotify because it is really user friendly and allows you to share the playlist with everyone afterwards, and you could even include it on your wedding programs! I would recommend getting the premium version of Spotify to avoid those dreadful ads. Simply create your playlist and download it onto someone's phone or computer to avoid not having Wi-Fi, and BAM, there's your awesome new reception playlist.

5. Have fun!

And don't forget the Father-Daughter dance!


-Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.